Thursday, January 25, 2007


I realized that I've been addressing this project at the scale of the staircase. Close but no call. While I've been attempting to conceive a full run of stairs to build, I realized last night that I need to take one further step towards the micro before it is truly a detail. So my built 1:1 detail will be the end section of a set of 3 stairs that would be found mid-flight on the staircase.

The structure of the stair is to be welded 2" steel angle. The recto of the stair shall be a sheet ribbon of 18ga. steel becoming both riser and tread as it flows over top of the frame. The verso of the stair shall be covered by 0.275" acrylic plates to act as acoustic but not visual enclosure. One side of the stair is to be anchored to the wall and the other shall be faced with 0.275 acrylic plates with an individually tuned acoustic hole cut into each plate.

I don't yet know if I will include a ballustrade and handrail as part of the detail.

Now to build it.