Thursday, January 11, 2007

questions... or rather musings



And as for my detail...

My thoughts of late have been in trying to relate the idea of created gaze back to the idea of rubber step. If Reed says his art is about movement, I believe him. So in my detail I have to think of how to show movement as an indicator of the human body. A stair, itself though, is an indicator of the human body... it shows the course of our movement and in following that stair visually we must imagine the climber's tread just as when we look at the brush strokes in Reed's paintings we must imagine the artist's hand. So the stair is the movement. Is this as simple as a stairway made of plastic pieces? I'd hate to think so... oh so very boring.

I'm working on the stair but have come to a pause in how to relate synthetic stare [created gaze] to a literal stair. Aside from an escalator, a stairway is a relatively task-oriented environment. It's hard to talk about the created gaze in a space where you have to pay attention to what you're doing. This can't be about signage or the television itself, either. I want to design something that still works when the power goes out.

I'm trying to find a way to show the movement of the body even further... I thought of making my stair a giant pipe organ so that each step sounds a note as you ascend/descend. Too big an idea to do a meaningful detail from though, I think. I've ben playing with the term synthetic a bit, too. Considering the stair, what does a synthetic stair [created step] do? Is it the function or purpose that is synthesized? As in a Stairmaster? Is it the means of transfering a person from one height to another that's synthesized? As in an escalator or diagonal lift? And should I be planning ahead, trying to design the detail so that it leads towards a planned greater end? Or should I just design a good detail and then let it go from there? Ok... that's it. Have a good day.